I have a confession to make. I am a b-school applicant, and I'm not afraid to say it.
The essay questions have been released recently (if you don't know what the essay questions are for or about, then you've obviously never applied or thought of applying to b-school). In line with my new resolution to finish the entire process before The Big September Holiday, I have spent the last 12 hours trying to write about my goals. I have failed. Miserably at that.
The one paragraph I managed to write was pretentious. It was so pretentious that if it tried any harder it would have pooped a little. I'm not kidding. I've just spent the last fifteen minutes staring at it in mesmerized horror (yes, when one has writers' block, one finds many many interesting reasons to not actually do any writing), and I can't believe my eyes.
Writers' block can be fun. And productive. As long as you don't try to get any writing done. I have found so many interesting things to do rather than work on my essays. I reorganized my room. I washed all my clothes. I caught up with old friends. I arranged all my books. I cleaned my desk. And so on.
Another favourite way to try and break through that block is daydreaming. I'm currently spending valuable essay-writing time dreaming about my big holiday to the US in September. I've wanted to do this for years (well, actually I wanted to visit Europe, but this is good too), but I never had the money and I didn't want to travel alone. My Montreal experience taught me that I'm not a good alone traveler. I still don't have the money, but I've been constantly blackmailing a couple of friends to travel with me, so I'm hoping they'll cave and travel with me. I have company for the UK leg of the trip. Now I just need someone to travel with me in the US, and then I'm set. I'm so excited about this. I haven't had a holiday in ten years, maybe more. Though this one isn't under ideal circumstances, and all the people I'd love to travel with can't come, I'm still excited at the thought! At least I got one guinea pig (so far) :)
And now, it is 3:20 a.m., and I have to be in at work at 8:30 because... hmm, am not really sure why... After having spent a productive two hours planning my trip and blogging, I shall now lay me down to rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment